85 Civic Center Plaza, Suite LL3
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Email: Email Me
Herbert N. Wallace has been practicing law since 1963. He is well-known in the Hudson Valley as one of the leading lawyers in the region, and his expertise ranges from real estate, criminal defense and all areas of litigation to complex corporate and municipal law, including tax certiorari and condemnation matters.
Herb has always been at the top of the legal profession, starting with law school at Syracuse University where he was an Associate Editor of the Law Review. After graduation, he spent the early part of his career as an Assistant Attorney General of New York State. From 1966 to 1979, he was the Assistant Attorney General in charge of the Poughkeepsie office, overseeing the counties of Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, Orange and Dutchess.
From 1979 to 1985, Herb was counsel to the New York State Senate Banking Committee, and from 1985 to 1989, he was Counsel to the Assistant Majority Leader of the New York State Senate. Herb began his private practice in 1979 and has been part of the fabric of Poughkeepsie’s business community for over 30 years. His son Craig joined the practice in 1995.
Herb believes in giving back to the community as a business owner and a neighbor. He and his son Craig share a passion for law and for helping others. Herb has been recognized locally by numerous organizations for his leadership and good will. In addition, he has been the recipient of awards from leading national organizations. These honors include:
- Trial Lawyers Care, Inc: Herb has been honored for his participation in the largest pro bono legal services program in history. Herb volunteered his services to assist victims and their families secure compensation under the September 11 Victim Compensation Fund. In the spirit that is Wallace & Wallace, Herb helped a widow of a New York City firefighter from Hyde Park achieve a substantial award from the Victim Compensation Fund. His outstanding efforts were recognized by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now known as the American Association for Justice).
- The Ellis Island Medal of Honor: In 1997, Herb received one of the highest honors in the country that celebrates ethnic pride and accomplishment. This unique honor has been awarded to presidents like Bill Clinton and George Bush along with celebrities like Michael Douglas and Barbara Walters. Herb’s modesty over receiving this award is a further testament to his greatness in giving of himself to others.
Clients know that, when Herb is their lawyer, they are in the very best of hands. He has true compassion towards others, which he demonstrates by example throughout the office. No legal matter is too small for Herb to tend to. He is greatly respected by those who work with him and the many clients he has helped over the years.
Areas of Practice
- Tax Certiorari
- Eminent Domain / Condemnation
- Criminal Defense
- Liquor Licensing
- Real Estate Law
- New York, 1962
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 1962
- Syracuse University College of Law, Syracuse, New York
- J.D. – 1962
- Law Review: Syracuse Law Review, Associate Editor
- Davis and Elkins College, Elkins, West Virginia
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts magna cum laude – 1959